Elizabeth Hamilton-Guarino
Discover How to Be Your Best
Your Warrior Within | Best Ever You
by Elizabeth Hamilton-Guarino on April 8th, 2012

This was my Easter present from my mom and dad- 2012.

I went down, grabbed my iPad, got my email and was just in tears of joy all day long over these photos of my dad that were taken yesterday.

For those of you following Best Ever You for the first time, let me introduce you to my dad, James F. Hamilton.  We call him "The ICU Warrior."

He is a Stroke Survivor (2004) and a Kidney Cancer Survivor (2011).  He spent the last 45 days of 2011 in the ICU unit of Fairview Ridges, Burnsville, MN after being resuscitated from a medical error. It was life or death daily and the nurses and doctors still can't believe he made it through.

He wound up in the ICU after coming home from a kidney removal surgery at the Mayo Clinic. The doctor at the Mayo Clinic did not close the surgery properly after removing a kidney, which left him bleeding internally and taken by ambulance to Fairview Ridges and resuscitated along the way.  (see many previous blogs...)

He is the ICU Warrior and it is amazing to see him up and about....We created a website for him while he was sick on Caring Bridge.  Take a look if you get a moment to see a tiny example of what he has overcome.

But see that book in his hand?  It is called "Onslaught" and he wrote that AFTER his stroke and finished it over the past few months AFTER his bout in the ICU.  It will be out soon.  He has always wanted to have a book published...

My point?  He willed himself to live and we were there to help.  He has willed himself (and we've been there to help) to this standing position on the front porch of his home.  You don't know that in this photo he can't really see you that well from the stroke and he can't hear so great and he gets tired easily and just lost 70 pounds.

I don't even quite have words that are easily flowing to tell you how proud I am.

It's his 69th birthday tomorrow, April 9, 2012.

Happy Birthday Dad!!   See you on the 20th.

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever Give Up.

Love,
Elizabeth
About Elizabeth Hamilton-Guarino

Elizabeth is the Founder and CEO of The Best Ever You Network.  This is dedicated to all of you who have lost a parent or have parents that are ill.  Keep the faith.

Posted in not categorized    Tagged with james hamilton, icu warrier, OnSlaught, Best Ever You, Elizabeth Hamilton-Guarino, Never, ever, ever ever, ever give up, caring bridge, James F. Hamilton, mayo clinic didn't do such a great job with my dad

9 Comments

Laura - April 8th, 2012 at 2:39 PM
WoW! What a story. Happy Birthday to your dad and how wonderful of you and the family to share his story in order to help heal him, yourselves, and others. Kudos!
Christie - April 8th, 2012 at 3:25 PM
What a special Easter gift indeed! Your father is an inspiration - to continue to accomplish meaningful endeavors in his life, despite physical limitations and illness. You are right to be proud of him. Happy Easter!
Lisa Tener - April 9th, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Happy Birthday to your amazing Dad. Sheds some light on where his amazing daughter gets much of her get up and go and determination!
Name - April 9th, 2012 at 1:29 PM
Happy Birthday Blessings with Angel Sprinkles!!!
Debra Oakland - April 9th, 2012 at 5:30 PM
Happy Birthday to James the Warrior. What a courageous family you have. It is easy to see you are very close with your dad and I have to say you are both blessed to have each other in love and support. Like you say NEVER give up!
Wendie Pett - April 9th, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Awe...sweet! Happy Birthday to James! He is very blessed to have a daughter like you to encourage and love him as he went through his ICU days. God is good! Look forward to seeing you while you're in town and maybe meet the Warrior himself! :-)
Elizabeth - April 9th, 2012 at 5:59 PM
Thank you to all of you for leaving your wishes, thoughts and prayers. Wendie - Thank you for being there at the hospital with me. Can't ever tell you how much that prayer meant to me. It was just at the right time. That was one bad day. Hugs to all of you.
Steve Zicklin - April 9th, 2012 at 8:12 PM
Happy birthday James, have read about your struggles and you are an inspiration to the will of survival. Bless you Sir and hope your day is a fantastic one. Your daughter Elizabeth is so wonderful you did a great job raising her. Cheers to you!
Steve - April 9th, 2012 at 10:05 PM
We all love heroes. I loved him long before I knew what a hero he would become. He will always be an inspiration to me. God bless him and all of your family. Thank God I can say this while we are both here, loving life. I love you all.